Friday, June 24, 2011

Strictly Saturday: Chocolate Caramel Slice

I love finding recipes that people from other parts of the world are baking
and this recipe is an Australian favorite.  
In England it is a tray bake,
in the US it is bar cookies
but in Australia it is a slice
but
wherever you are
it is delicious!
I now know why it is a favorite in Australia!

Just a hint of coconut in the bottom crust, a creamy layer of a subtle caramel made from cooking sweetened condensed milk (not a purchased caramel), and a little bit of chocolate to top it off. 

I recommend you give this one a try soon!

Chocolate Caramel Slice

Ingredients: Base
1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2/3 cup desiccated coconut
2/3 cup self-raising flour
3 ounces butter, melted ( 85 gr)



Caramel Filling
1 ounce butter ( 30 gr)
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk ( 395 gr)

Chocolate Topping
6 ounces milk chocolate (150 gr) or 6 ounces dark chocolate chips ( 150 gr)
1 tablespoon butter

Directions
  • Preheat oven to 375F (180C). Grease an 8-inch baking pan and line bottom and sides with wax paper.
  • Stir brown sugar, coconut and flour together. Add butter and mix until well--combined. Firmly press mixture into prepared pan using the back of a tablespoon.
  • Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly-brown and slightly-risen. Make caramel during this time.
  • Place butter and golden syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. When butter has melted, add condensed milk. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 9-12 minutes, or until caramel thickens,
  • Gently spread caramel evenly over base. Return to oven for a further 10-12 minutes (a border of lightly-browned caramel will form around the edges of the slice). Allow slice to cool to room temperature.
To give credit where credit is due I found this recipe at Food.com

post signature

3 comments:

  1. Oh, please, please, please save me a piece!!! I want some! It sounds like something I would adore!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darla
    Thanks so much for your kind words on my journal page - it's much appreciated since I'm such a novice. I should be one of your students. I scrolled through your blog and love your style & your advice for painting from photos was priceless!

    Thanks & I look forward to seeing more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wrote that you bought a couple of Zentangle books. Where did you get them -from the official site, Amazon? If I were going to get just one, should I get the Basics? What I know I only learned from browsing online - did you find that one helpful?

    ReplyDelete