Friday, February 13, 2009

A Week of Love Conclusion

Today is another Valentine's Day and again I have followed the pattern of success and expect a wonderful evening with our parents and my siblings and spouses. I gave bags of candy to each of my children's families and actually sent cards to my grandchildren on time this year....and am depending on the post office to deliver them on time. I have planned a meal, desserts and taken the focus off of me this year and placed it on others....because I have found it truly is more blessed to give than it is to receive.

Living a life of love daily is more rewarding than a life of regret or a life of resentment.
At the end of my life when I stand before God I don't want to have to try to explain a broken marriage....
"well, he never brought me flowers......"

Face it! No one can love you perfectly or as much as you want.....only God can do that.

I have learned:
....that if you expect something you had better have communicated your expectations because he can not read your mind.
....that if you plan something you need to be sure it is in his plans. too.
....that the sexes have different ideas of how to express love.
....and that the problem with us begins with me.
....I can only change me and if I plan to change him I need to be prepared for disappointment.
....and that life is better with him than without him.
....for him to feel love I had better learn his love language (take the quiz The Five Love Languages)

So for this day of love I wish for you a lifetime of loving.
Happy Valentine's Day.

Saying I love you should really mean I have found in you a person whom I respect and find qualities that I can appreciate and have chosen to treat you lovingly for the rest of my life, putting your concerns and happiness ahead of mine.

And thanks for hanging in there with me.

3 comments:

  1. My first trip to the Tulsa Workshop, I brought Andy the saying from Elizabeth Browning, "Grow old with me, the best is yet to come..." I meant it then, but I understand it now.

    Happy Valentines day to one of my heroes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder. I needed to hear that today. Its not about me, its about him. Guess I have a lot of learning to do. But I am so glad you wrote this for people to read!! It has touched my heart and I think I will always remember your words of wisdom.

    Happy Valentine's Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. k, chick. It's time to break down and write a new blog.

    If I can do it, anyone can.

    ReplyDelete